How to get a card
A Peterborough Public Library card allows you to borrow materials (some restrictions apply) from either the Main Library or the DelaFosse Branch of the library. Library cards are issued free of charge to:
- people who live in and/or pay property or business taxes to the City of Peterborough
- students attending a local college or university
- institutions or businesses which operate within the city limits
Library cards are also available for non-taxpayers at the following rates. These are family memberships and each family member may be issued a card.
- 3 months: $7.50
- 6 months: $15.00
- 1 year: $30.00
- 1 year: $15.00 (65 years or over only)
Library cards are valid for anywhere from three months to one year, depending upon the type of membership. At the end of this time an address verification is required. The physical card is permanent and should not be destroyed upon expiry.
- Adults wanting a library card must present documentation with their name and current address.
- Temporary residents must also provide documents with their permanent home address.
- Post-secondary students must present a current student card and additional identification showing a permanent home address.
- Children 13 years of age and under must have permission from their parent or guardian to obtain a library card. The parent or guardian is responsible for all material and charges on the child's card.
Granting Permission for Other People to Use Your Library Card
To ensure that Peterborough Public Library complies with the spirit, principles and intent of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), we require that a library card be used only by the person to whom it is issued. If you wish to grant permission for another person to use your library card, pick up any materials you have placed on hold, receive information about any materials you have borrowed and receive information about any outstanding fines or charges, you must complete a Consent to Disclose Personal Information form and present it to the Circulation Desk.
An application for an Institutional Membership is available at the Circulation Desk of either library branch. It must be filled out and signed by the senior administrative officer who will take responsibility for all borrowing on the card.
This special membership is designed to assist institutions and businesses with resource material related to their mandates. It is not intended to be used as a personal borrowing card.
The normal regulations including length of lending and applicable late fines are the same as those for individual borrowers.
Businesses or institutions located outside the City of Peterborough may also join for an annual membership fee of $30.00.
Lost Library Cards
Because borrowers are responsible for all material checked out on their library card, the library recommends that you:
- do not lend your card to anyone
- do not check items out for someone else
- notify the library immediately if your card is lost or stolen
Borrowers with proper identification may replace lost or stolen cards for a charge of $3.00. The card-holder is responsible for any material borrowed on that card until the Library has been notified of the loss.