The Friends of the Peterborough Public Library will be suspending services during the renovation.
We are no longer accepting any book donations at either of our locations. We are unable to store any books and will not be having regular book sales while the library is at the Peterborough Square.
The Friends of the Peterborough Public Library (FOL) is a small group of dedicated library supporters who started the group in 1986. The goal of the Friends are to:
- Foster an understanding of the Library's role in the community,
- Increase the community's understanding of the benefits derived from the library in the areas of cultural, academic, career, recreation and leisure pursuits,
- Build on the Friends' enthusiasm, talents and dedication to supplement Library services.
Every year, on average, the FOL donate close to $40,000 to the library for the purchase of a wide range of materials, including large print books, audio books and bestsellers.
Anyone interested in joining as a volunteer of the Friends:
If you are a library user or supporter please note that we are not accepting new members during the time of the renovation. However, when we resume in the newly renovated library we will welcome new members.
Thank-you for donating materials to the Library over the years!
Book donations are important to the Friends of the Library, the money they generate at the used book sales are used to help purchase new materials and equipment for the library and they sponsor various library programs.
While we are in our temporary location, our Friends have temporarily suspended their operations because they are unable to store or sort through the books while the Main Library is being renovated.
During this time, we kindly ask you to hang on to your books until we reopen and the Friends of the Library are able to begin operations again.
Once the Library is open again, we will gratefully accept:
- Books in good condition — paperback and hardcover — for adults, young adults, and children bestsellers and prize winners
- fiction and non-fiction
- CDs and DVDs
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept:
- moldy books, musty books, or books that have been affected by vermin or insects
- garage/yard sale leftovers
- books with broken spines, pages missing, highlighting, brittle or yellowed pages
- books more than 5 years old in areas such as health, technology, business, law, text books, and encyclopedia sets
- government publications, pamphlets, weekly magazines
- Reader's Digest condensed books