History

Year Event
 1868
Establishment of the Mechanic's Institute. These Mechanic Institutes were established across Ontario to make education universal and accessible to all citizens. In Peterborough, the Institute and the Library were located on Water St.
 1882
The Ontario Legislature passes the Free Libraries Act.
 1895
In May, the Mechanic's Institute becomes the Peterborough Public Library.
 1911 The Carnagie Foundation grants funding for a new library building on George St. This building is currently the Carnegie Wing of City Hall.

1949

In February, a branch library opens in the south end of Peterborough above the hardware store.  This 50' x 20' room was divided into two sections, one for children and one for adults.

 1965 On December 1st the DelaFosse officially opens.  The Peterborough Examiner declared that this Park St. branch made "south end residents the envy of the rest of the city."
 1980 On September 2nd, the Main Library on Aylmer St. opens.  Opening ceremonies were held on September 17th featuring Dr. Robertson Davis, Master of Massey College at the University of Toronto as the keynote speaker.
 1998 Public Internet Access becomes available through a partnership with a local business on a fee-for-service basis.
 2000 Free Public Internet Access becomes available at both branches of the library through a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
 2007 Free wireless Internet becomes available at the Main Library.
 2013 A feasibility study created by Michael Lundholm, concludes that the Main Library requires more community space.
 2016 In May, the Peterborough Public Library moves, temporarily, into Peterborough Square while the Main Library is being renovated.